Ulys & Vera Knight Faculty Mentor Award
Mentoring offers a vital contribution to academic and professional success. At UNT, we are committed to providing a culture of mentoring excellence in all areas that impact academic life. The Ulys & Vera Knight Faculty Mentor Award recognizes a faculty member who demonstrates sustained excellence in mentoring undergraduate students, graduate students, and/or other faculty. Mentoring may include support and guidance in the areas of teaching, research, service, academic achievement and/or professional development. Faculty members who have initiated departmental or university-wide mentoring programs or created student and/or faculty development programs are eligible for this recognition. The annual award carries a one-time $2,000.00 payment and an engraved commemorative gift.
Must have served the University of North Texas for a minimum of three (3) years.
- Must be a full-time faculty member in good standing at the time of the nomination.
- Must demonstrate continued commitment to faculty-to-faculty and/or faculty-to-student mentoring.
A faculty member who meets the above criteria may be nominated by any UNT faculty or university employee with in-depth knowledge of the accomplishments of the nominee. Self-nominations will not be accepted. Nominators should inform nominees that they are being nominated and may solicit their assistance in preparing the nomination materials. The nomination dossier must be submitted as a single PDF document in this order:
- Table of contents
- Two page personal narrative describing the nominee’s mentoring philosophy and the role of the nominee in impacting others’ academic and professional success.
- A listing of accomplishments, outcomes, and impacts resulting from mentoring initiatives. If relevant to nomination, a listing of mentored students, publications, presentations, and other outcomes resulting from the mentoring relationship.
- Three supporting letters addressing the quality and impact of nominee’s mentoring contribution. These letters can include information and examples about advising and mentoring students, expanding faculty/student opportunities, developing and running workshops, helping faculty/students in their professional development, and contributing to the quality of the overall student experience. Supporting letters may be requested from colleagues, deans, department chairs, PAC committees, other university colleagues, and/or students.
- Complete curriculum vita.
All nominations for awards to take effect on September 1, 2020 should be submitted using the Salute to Faculty Excellence Awards Nomination portal. Here is the link: https://vpaa.unt.edu/nominate. If you have any questions please contact Annie Garcia at Ana.Garcia@unt.edu or (940) 565-3987.
All completed nomination packets must be received by the Office for Faculty Success by October 25, 2019. See the Call for Nominations for specific details.
An award selection committee will represent the faculty at large and the Faculty Senate Mentoring Committee. The Vice Provost for Faculty Success serves as the non-voting chair of the committee. The Ulys & Vera Knight Faculty Mentor Award is presented at the Salute to Faculty Excellence dinner and ceremony in the fall.
|2019-2020||William "Bill" Acree||Chemistry|
|2018-2019||Kimi Lynn King||Political Science|
|2016-2017||Yolanda Flores Niemann||Psychology|
|2013-2014||John Ishiyama||Political Science|
|2012-2013||Bertina Combes||Educational Psychology|