Academic Advising is the place to go to make connections between your personal goals and your educational career. Academic advising is a collaborative process in which you are an active participant; you and your advisor are partners in pursuing your academic success. To find your academic advisor, contact your department.
Meeting with Your Advisor
Your academic advisor is one of the best resources for academic information; they are your guide to success and graduation!
Plan to meet with your advisor every semester. Incoming freshman students will be REQUIRED to meet with an advisor BEFORE registering for the classes.
Schedule an advising appointment at least two weeks before signing up for classes.
Your advisor can help you:
- Understand your degree plan, GPA requirements, and more.
- Learn about higher education and how it benefits your life and personal goals.
- Choose courses that satisfy degree requirements.
- Define and develop realistic educational goals.
- Clarify university policies and procedures.
- Find answers to your questions and concerns.
- Support your academic progress and success.
- Connect to campus resource.
As a UNT student, it is your responsibility to:
- Schedule regular appointments and stay in contact with your advisor each semester.
- Become knowledgeable about college programs, policies, and procedures. Use the catalog and schedule of classes!
- Clarify your personal values and goals and provide your advisor with accurate information regarding your interests and abilities.
- Come prepared to each appointment with questions or material for discussion. Ask questions if you do not understand an issue or have a specific concern.
- Complete all assignments or recommendations from your advisor and gather all relevant decision-making information. Accept responsibility for your decisions.
- Be aware of degree requirements and how/where to access them. Utilize your unofficial online audit.