Results from the 2021-2022 COACHE Survey & Focus Groups
Areas of Strength
- 67% of faculty report satisfaction with the department as a place to work
- 61% of URM faculty agree the President/Provost value school/college*
- 60% of faculty they would choose UNT again for work
Notably, faculty in general and URM faculty perceive their place of work as positive. Sixty percent of faculty would choose UNT again as a place to work, while 67% of faculty report satisfaction with their department as a place to work. Sixty-one percent of URM faculty agree the President/Provost value their school/college, a higher percentage than URM faculty at peer institutions. In addition, Pre-Tenure faculty report satisfaction with their department and institution as places to work (79% and 69%, respectively).
Other Areas of Strength
Sixty-one percent of women and URM faculty agree they would choose UNT again as a place to work. More than 60% of FOC, URM faculty, and Asian faculty report satisfaction with their department and institution as places to work (ranging from 60% to 65%).
Areas of Growth
- 45% of faculty agree the department is valued by the President/Provost*
- 41% of women faculty report satisfaction with recognition for service*
- 44% of URM faculty report satisfaction with recognition for scholarship*
Just over 40% of Associate, women, and URM faculty agree their department is valued by the President/Provost (45%) or report satisfaction with recognition for service (41%) and scholarship (44%).
Recommendations and Resources
Recommendations to improve satisfaction for faculty appreciation and recognition include:
- Additional resources to support and recognize professional faculty such as additional awards, enhanced mentoring, more professional development support, and a review of how they are evaluated. Beginning 2023, professional faculty will be eligible for the UNT Foundation Faculty Leadership Award and the Faculty Community Engagement Award.
- Create channels for notification of accomplishments and awards at all levels including departments, colleges, and university-wide recognitions.
- Continue to review faculty compensation and merit but also consider how to reward in other ways such as flexible schedules, releases, research support, etc.
*= UNT Outshines Peers
NOTE: FOC = Faculty of color (non-White faculty); Professional faculty = Faculty who are not on the tenure track; URM = Underrepresented minority (Black and Latinx)