Advisors foster student engagement and the acceptance of their responsibility to adhere to university policies and utilize the appropriate university resources. To support the holistic advising model at UNT, advisors will help students become familiar with available resources and assist students in navigating information and services to achieve their goals.
- Meet with students early in their academic career to discuss their program, major options and timely progression;
- Work with students to develop a degree plan for their specific major and minor that will support a timely graduation;
- Connect students to career development resources and the Career Center;
- Introduce opportunities for students to connect with the University early;
- Encourage students to develop an understanding of the value of relationships with peers, faculty and staff to enhance their connections and resources;
- Support students in the need to develop physical and mental well-being;
- Encourage students to explore and capitalize on growth opportunities to gain an appreciation of cultural diversity on campus and globally.
Second and Third Years:
- Have open conversations to help students synthesize realistic academic and life goals;
- Encourage further development of genuine relationships with faculty and staff;
- Emphasize to students the importance of monitoring their academic progress to stay on track;
- Encourage students to continue to expand their academic network and take more active leadership roles;
- Connect students to resources and services/organizations that will enhance academic success;
- Encourage students to speak with faculty about professional organizations that will enhance academic and/or career success;
- Stress importance of creating a resume and other materials/resources needed for participation in job fairs;
- Encourage students to seek opportunities that will further support career or graduate school choices, such as internships, research projects or Study Abroad.
- Inform students of the importance of graduation checks, minimally the semester before graduation;
- Encourage students to refine interview techniques, career research methods, and career resources through the Career Center;
- Assist students in developing a post-graduation plan.