Career Connect gives students, faculty, and staff the opportunity to enhance applicable learning and experiences while also working to get credentialed in eight important marketable skills, which are: teamwork, critical thinking, written communication, oral communication, leadership, personal responsibility, social responsibility, and empirical & quantitative skills.
Faculty and staff who offer or are interested in offering experiential learning activities or other high-impact practices can partner with Career Connect to provide their students with the opportunity to earn a badge that verifies their skill attainment that counts towards a micro-credential.
Foundation (Bronze): Exposure or participation in one high impact practice without skill assessment on a Connect rubric.
Exploration (Silver): Participation in one high impact practice with reflection and skill assessment on a Connect rubric.
Integration (Gold): Participation in two integrated high impact practices with reflection and skill assessment on a Connect rubric.
To offer experiences that help students earn badges and credit towards micro-credentials, faculty and staff need to consider:
- Determine which high impact practice the class or experience is participating in.
- Develop an assignment, activity, or program that involves real-life experiences (experiential learning) and may include a community partnership benefiting both students and the community partner.
- Determine which skill(s) you are assessing.
- Integrate student learning in one or more of the following skills: written communication, oral communication, teamwork, critical thinking, leadership, personal responsibility, social responsibility, and empirical & quantitative skills.
- Require students to develop a product or activity that can be observed and rated.
- Require students to reflect on their learning experience, faculty and staff can use Career Connect reflection prompts or develop their own reflective process specific to the student’s experience. Also, see Why Reflection Matters.
- Faculty develop a description of the experience to be displayed in the student dashboard
By accumulating badges throughout their time at UNT, students can gain a credential that will appear on a student’s digital transcript. This credential achievement would have a direct link to the learning experience that contributed to the student earning the credential.
Check out some of the faculty-led projects here
The Career Connect team developed considerations for each high-impact practice at UNT. Use this resource as a guide for what to consider in your learning experience.
Want to kick-start your partnership? Complete this survey as a way to gather information and to identify how to best support the partnership!